Friday, January 11, 2013

Ricotta Gnocchi/Gnocchi di Ricotta

Homemade Ricotta

This week I decided to finally make Ricotta.  I've been thinking about making this cheese for months but was too afraid to even try (so not like me).  My imagination ran wild thinking of a nasty tasteless mess. But boy o boy was I wrong. Of course I had to do my research to find the best recipe (looking at several recipes shows consistency of what works and what is best) 

I followed this recipe with some changes: Rich homemade ricotta

Ricotta 
3 cups 2% Milk
1 cup heavy cream
3 tbsp of white vinegar
1/2 tsp of sea salt
1 colander
several pieces of cheese cloth
bowl
Wood spoon 

1. Add milks and salt to non reactive pan - used an enamel or stainless steel pot
2. Heat milk on medium-low until it reaches 190 degrees (use a candy/frying thermometer); making sure to stir occasionally. 
3. Once it reaches temperature remove from and add the vinegar; stir slowly for 30 secs then let it sit for 5 mins without disturbing.
4. Pour over a colander with cheese cloth and let sit for 2 hours to drain and firm.

If you are feeling adventurist you can use the whey of your ricotta to make bread - replace your water for bread with the whey.  

Once my Ricotta was done I was totally not prepared.  Since it is so fresh without all the added preservatives (things I can't even pronounce), I would have to eat all this deliciousness within 3-4 days. So my research began again! I saw recipes for cookies, pancakes, and lasagna.  I wasn't in the mood for any of those until finally it hit me, I should make Ricotta Gnocchi!

History Lesson: 
Gnocchi, translate to lumps.  Gnocchi are eaten as a first course, alternatives to soups or pasta. The common accompaniments of gnocchi include melted butter with sage, pesto, and various sauces.

They say Gnocchi was originated in the Middle East and introduced by the Romans to the Italians.

Here is a  great video on Youtube that help guide me make these delicious lumps lol BuonaPappa - Homemade Ricotta Gnocchi recipe


Ricotta Gnocchi - Buona Pappa Recipe

1 lb ricotta (2 cups)
1 cup Parmesan - freshly grated (buy the good stuff)
2 eggs
1 cup all purpose flour
a pinch of nutmeg
a pinch of salt
1 tbsp minced sage (optional)

Gnocchi Sauce - Buona Pappa Recipe
6 tbsp butter - I used unsalted
a pinch of salt
2 tsp fresh sage (minced)
2 tsp fresh thyme (minced)
2 tsp lemon zest - 1 whole lemon











No comments:

Post a Comment