Friday, March 8, 2013

Homemade Cheese Pizza


Just so you know I LOVE PIZZA!

Pizza has always reminded me of that awesome Ninja Turtle - Michelangelo. Yes I am definitely a big kid and have all the turtle movies to prove it hehehe. So my love for pizza has been since the 90s (yes I am dating myself whatev's) and living in NYC has allowed me to taste the best pizzas around. There is nothing like a NYC slice!! Well unless you're eating one of mine :) 
As a kid, my mamita (little momma aka grandma) would buy pizza when her blood pressure was at a very good level.  It was her way of celebrating that she was doing well health wise. And so, pizza was always a big to do in our family. Today, instead of buying pizza (though I do once in a while) I make it. If she were alive today I would have definitely made this for her but in her memory I'll make it and enjoy and I hope you will too!

Bien Provecho! 

If you are too busy (it really isn't that hard to make or too much time at all) you can always purchase pizza dough from your local pizzeria or supermarket. 

A Slice of History 

Italy unified in 1861, and King Umberto I and Queen Margherita visited Naples in 1889. Legend has it that the traveling pair became bored with their steady diet of French haute cuisine and asked for an assortment of pizzas from the city’s Pizzeria Brandi, the successor to Da Pietro pizzeria, founded in 1760. The variety the queen enjoyed most was called pizza mozzarella, a pie topped with the soft white cheese, red tomatoes and green basil. (Perhaps it was no coincidence that her favorite pie featured the colors of the Italian flag.) From then on, the story goes, that particular topping combination was dubbed pizza Margherita.


Ingredients 
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F) 
2 teaspoons active dry yeast 
Pinch of sugar or 1/4 teaspoon honey 
 2 1/2 to 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 
2 tablespoons olive oil 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
cornmeal or semolina, for sprinkling  

**You will also need: a pizza stone or pan with holes, and pizza cutter** 

As for cheese I used a mixture of: Sargento's Reduced Fat 4 Cheese Italian Mozzarella, Smoked Provolone, Asiago & Romano. This cheese combination was the best I've used so far! Also, I used Napa Valley Bistro - Homemade-Style Marinara Pasta Sauces. You can use your favorite tomato sauce but I find this sauce pretty awesome.

For instructions on how to make see link below:
The Bread Bible was an awesome buy! You can purchase a copy on eBay for around 17-18 bucks with free shipping.  

PS: I made this all by hand no machine necessary!  




You can also add toppings to your liking!
Buffalo Chicken Pizza
2 tablespoons of butter
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 to 3 tablespoons of your favorite hot sauce
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles

Directions:
In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt butter and stir in Worcestershire, hot sauce and tomato sauce. Add chicken to sauce and coat. 

BBQ Chicken Pizza
10 ounces cooked and shredded chicken breasts
2 tablespoons bbq sauce
1/2 cup bbq sauce
1 cup gouda cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1/4 small red onion, sliced into rings
2 tablespoons cilantro

Directions:
Coat chicken with 2 tablespoons of BBQ, set in refrigerator.  Spread the 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce over the surface of the dough. Spread cheese over the sauce. Spread chicken over the cheese.  Place the onion rings over the chicken pieces.

This is what left overs look like the next day!











No comments:

Post a Comment